Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Reverberations in 2009

I like to poke fun at Jamie, especially when she makes a verbal snafu. Not long ago, we were having an intense moment of fellowship. As we were reaching a resolution, she said, "I am so nice to you, but I feel like that kindness is never reverberated." I responded, "Jamie, it's' reciprocated, not reverberated." Well, I guess you could say it's the thought that counts.

So to be fair and equitable, I feel it is my duty to be an equal opportunity mocker. Consequently, Jamie was able to have a little fun with my ignorance the other day. Most faithful Ford Retort readers know that I'm a big fan of Christmas music (yes, I've been caught listening to Christmas music in May). Jamie and I were traveling around town this weekend, and we were listening to "The Christmas Song." I was soulfully singing along, and I got to the line in the song that says, "And so I'm offering this simple phrase, to kids from 1 to 92." I sang that line, and with an ad lib, I changed the lyrics to, "And so I'm offering this simple phrase, to kids from 1 to 2009."

Immediately, Jamie shot me a kooky look and laughed at me. She asked me why I said 2009, and I explained to her that I was simply "updating" the song to reflect the current year. Jamie then preceded to disclose to me that "from 1 to 92" in the song refers to ages, not years. Hmmm. When I thought about it, I certainly have to admit that it makes more sense. And I guess Jamie's interpretation also makes the song make a bit more...oh what's the word...timeless.

No comments: