Friday, May 8, 2009

Confession



Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat
is good for dandruff - it is a palliative rather than a remedy.


I messed up. Big time. It could have been a very bad thing. Oh...the poor Winsty Baby!

On Thursday, Jamie worked during the day, so she left the house rather early. I was in a rush to get out the door that morning as well, so I hurriedly did all the things that Jamie requires me to do before I leave the house - turn off the lights, make sure the doors are locked, and set the thermostat to the right temperature. This is in addition to the default task of getting Winston situated for the day - making sure he has a clean towel, filling up his water bowl, and ensuring that he has had adequate time to go to the bathroom outside. Yeah, I'm busy in the mornings.

Jamie and I didn't get home until about 10:30 pm on Thursday night. We had a birthday party to attend at this place (a birthday tip of the fedora to ABB (and I guess JEM)), and we didn't get started until 8 pm. Jamie worked until 7:30 pm, and I stayed at the office until then as well. I give you those details to remind you that Winston had not seen us for around fifteen hours.

I arrived at the house before Jamie at the end of the night. I got Winston's bowl of food prepared, and as I went to get him out of his crate, I was completely befuddled when I found the crate door wide open - without a Winsty Baby. That's when I hear Winston at the back door - outside at the back door. I quickly let him in...I was in somewhat of a daze...and he explodes into the house coated in mud. Then it hit me: I forgot to let Winston back inside before I left the house that morning. Uh oh!

Bulldogs cannot handle heat. It can easily be fatal to them. So let me be very frank: I would have been in deep, deep shit had anything detrimental happened to the Winsty baby because of my irresponsibility! Bad, bad things...

The Winsty Baby doesn't appear to be scarred from his abandonment. Although Thursday was a humid day, Winston showed no signs of overheating. In fact, I think he wallowed in the mud to help cool himself down. I've always said Winston is not the smartest dog around (much to the chagrin of Jamie), but his MacGyver-like survival skills did leave me with much to ponder. Maybe he's a little smarter than he lets on. The bottom line is the Winsty Baby is ok. After his bath, he seemed back to his old self, and today, he has received a lot of attention and love. We have fanned him with palm branches for a majority of the day, and he has received an extra helping of doggie treats for his "never say quit" attitude. Scoot over, St. Bernards...you have met your match in the Winsty baby.

I'm still pondering what the self-imposed penance for my parental neglect will be. I'll let you know if I come up with something.

No comments: