Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sunday Service Serendipity

Just a random thought...

Each Sunday, our church service contains a brief minute for folks to find someone with whom they might not haven spoken to yet and greet them (this is not a time, though, to establish a meaningful relationship). After the invitation from the minister to do this, mild chaos breaks out as folks wonder to and fro greeting friends and strangers.

I've recently noticed something that happens during this time. When "meet and greet" time begins, about three or four young girls come to the area in front of the stage. And as music plays, the girls hold hands and spin around. For some reason, it really makes my day! I don't know what it is about this simple gesture, but my heart is warmed each and every time. I dare say this may be my favorite part of the church service.

p.s. While we're on the subject of quasi-religous topics, I have a challenge for you, the faithful Ford Retort reader. As families and friends gather together to give thanks and celebrate blessings this holiday season, many prayers will rightfully be offered up to the Almighty. But this year, I plan on keeping a running count (and would encourage you to do the same) of how many times people say this phrase in a prayer: "the reason for the season." This set of words hasn't always bothered me, but as of late, I will confess that my nose itches or my skin crawls each and every time somebody uses that phrase in a prayer. There's nothing inherently bad about it, but like a bad gift from your weird aunt, the phrase "reason for the season" never fails to make me smile akwardly. So, see how many times you hear (or catch yourself saying) this banal phrase...

1 comment:

David said...

As I stand on stage, and tell people to go "fellowship" (which is baptist terminology for "go bug somebody"), I enjoy watching the 9-12 year old girls in the back left hand corner of the church doing the "friends are friends forever" dance, and sometimes even the techno version. So I can understand how it warms your heart.