Monday, September 15, 2008

Winston Update

If I didn't know better, I would say Fall is fast approaching. It was a delightfully pleasant day in central Mississippi.

Winston is doing well. Thanks for asking. Some observations:
  • This house training process is interesting. I feel a bit silly rewarding anything for going to the bathroom. And I feel a bit humble being down on my hands and knees cleaning up anything's excrement (fortunately, this has only happened thrice).
  • I'm expecting ongoing self-esteem problems since I am planning large amounts of my day around Winston's bowel movements.
  • Bulldogs are lazy. Winston spends a lot of time laying around and sleeping. Yeah, I'm jealous.
  • Is Winston named after Winston Churchill? Yes and no. Jamie wanted to name our puppy Winston; I did not. I had for all practical purposes decided on another name, but as I was reading a bulldog magazine Jamie had purchased (coincidentally we were also discussing dog names at the time), I stumbled on a small article in the magazine describing why Churchill was nicknamed "the Bulldog." Churchill was tenacious and stubborn (like a bulldog) and had joules and broad shoulders (like a bulldog). I considered my timely find a sign from on high that our puppy shall be named Winston (cue the angelic voices and harps).
  • Winston loves to be around Jamie and me!
  • Neil discovered a picture of Winston. Check it out at the end of this post!
  • Brittany almost got pooped on (by Winston), so we took her to eat Mexican food. Brittany, I need some more direction on your "he needs to learn to chew appropriately" comment.
  • I can't be sure, but tonight, I think Winston attempted to establish himself as the alpha male in our household. I quickly squelched his aggression and established myself as the pack leader.

1 comment:

neiltullos said...

As an owner of Roscoe, a 5 year old English Bulldog, I can tell you that the house training will eventually work, but that they only get lazier with time. Roscoe seldom spends more than 15 minutes a day away from his bed. Just wait until the snoring begins.

As I type Roscoe is pleasantly content taking his evening nap which followed his afternoon nap and precedes his nighttime sleep.