Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Profundity of It All

Yesterday at the dinner table, an interesting topic of discussion arose. Have you encountered an individual who has a proclivity to make profound statements...or at least he or she thinks they are profound?

Now let's clarify profound: if I said, "The FreeCreditReport.com commercials are without argument the most brilliant piece of advertising to ever hit the small screen," know that a statement such as that should not be accepted as having the potential to be profound. It is only inane and ignorant. But if I said, "This country is in need of change," or "God is good; all the time, God is good," those statements might have the appearance of profundity, until you thought about them.

I know an individual like this (let's call him Pinky). Pinky shares experiences and thoughts that obviously strike him as profound, but to the rest of us, they're simplistic and obvious. So often, I've felt an unstoppable compulsion to rise to my feet and shout, "Pinky, spare us!" I am reminded of Ben Franklin's saying in Poor Richard's Almanack, “Here comes the orator! With his flood of words, and his drop of reason.”

No comments: