Thursday, May 29, 2008

Spelling Bee


IMHO, too much learning can be a bad thing. Exhibit 1: Scripps National Spelling Bee.

The National Spelling Bee is taking place today and tomorrow. If someone accused me of being a linguaphile, I couldn't, with any iota of veracity, deny the accusation. I receive the Dictionary.com "Word of the Day," and an exquisitely descriptive and well-placed word in sophisticated conversation brings me great pleasure!

But have you seen the kids in the competition? Uber dorks! I mean, these kids make me look very smooth and debonair! When I watch the spelling bee (yes, I try to take in a couple of minutes), I feel compelled to sing the praises of shows like A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila (a show which I recently banned from my household. There is an exception, though: you may watch this show in my household if, beforehand, you drink a glass of warm saliva). These kids need some culture...I would even support filthy pop culture, for these dire cases

I shouldn't say those things...these are the future problem-solvers of tomorrow. And maybe I don't know what I'm talking about (Jamie subscribes to this theory). Check this out! And this too!

p.s. the above clip is a favorite!

2 comments:

Jamie Ford said...

I love the lady in the background..."Stop the clock." Not, "What the??? Somebody help the kid! Call 911!!!!" How gracious of her to only count the 60 seconds during the time period that he is conscious!!

Rusty said...

Ok ya'll. Time to discover the rest of the channels on your TV. Use the 'arrow up' and 'arrow down' buttons to find those additional channels.