Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tussis

On the way in to work this morning, I was eating a banana and drinking a Coke (the breakfast of champions, might I add). At about Pinehaven Drive, a sip of Coke (I'm guessing about 7 milliliters) went down the wrong tube (maneuvered to the trachea instead of the esophagus). Immediately, I began to cough...some of the more violent spasms of my thoracic cavity I've experienced in a while.

I knew I was just fine...in no imminent harm, so I just let the coughing run its course (about a minute and a half total). I did notice though that the lady in the car in front of me, whom I did not know, began to wave at me. I began to wonder if the oxygen deprivation was instigating me to see things which were not actually happening. But, no, this lady was waving at me. I waved back...didn't want to be rude. I theorize that my wild swaying led this unsuspecting lady to believe I was attempting to greet her. Don't you know this was the stuff of sketch comedy! I would have smiled at her (she had a very pleasant demeanor), but I was preoccupied choking.

What I find royally depressing is that if I was aspirating and about to die, this lady would have waved me on to Heaven. Oh well, my only advice: if you're choking in your car and about to die, do it with great constraint and inhibition, and if you're stationary, get out of your vehicle and make the universal choke sign. Just for the love of what's good and right in this world, don't wave...you're potential savior will only wave back.

p.s. After Monday, this sign is also accepted as the universal choke sign.

No comments: