Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Unhandicapped Individuals Parking in Handicapped Parking Spots Grinds My Gears

As a younger (a considerably more immature) child, I was annoyed by the realization that for 95% of any given day, handicapped designated parking spots are not filled by individuals who are genuinely handicapped. Simply put, a handicapped parking spot is an inefficient allocation of parking space. Why? Most of the time, in any random parking lot (yes, specifically choosing the parking lots of hospitals and rehabilitation centers would upset my statistical model), a parking spot designated for the handicapped is not legitimately used for the large majority of a day.

But the more I thought about this issue (this comes with growing older and presumably more mature), I appreciated the rationale of why we as a society choose to ignore economic (inefficient allocations and what not) realities on this matter. We, as a society, choose to make the lives of physically handicapped people easier in this simple way...giving them a spot at the front door.

If you are not handicapped, do not park in a parking spot designated for the handicapped.

Why do unhandicapped people park in handicapped spots? Simply put, they're self absorbed. They think the world revolves around them. They think society owes them something. When I observe somebody in parking lot who has committed this felonious misjudgment, I make it a point to stop and point at them and loudly yell, "Hey everybody, that guy is self absorbed and thinks the world revolves around him. He thinks his time is more valuable than everybody else's and chooses to slap the handicapped for his own personal convenience. Shun him like a lepper."

People are weird about different things, I know. Personally, I will not circle a parking lot 25 times to find a "closer" parking spot. It's too much trouble and the good Lord blessed me with a healthy body (that I don't exercise enough), so I just walk. But it really grinds my gears when a person with no/minimal health problems opts to usurp a parking spot designated for somebody who is physically handicapped.

1 comment:

Jamie Baker Ford said...

i am glad you don't go yelling at people like that when i am around!