Monday, February 4, 2008

A Look Back


I was cleaning out my wallet this weekend, and I found my room key from the Peabody. You may recall that Jamie and I and some friends attended a New Year's Eve party in Memphis (if you don't recall, check out the post "Ringin in the New Year" at the archives).

As I trashed the key card, my mind raced through the important and inconsequential events of my life since the beginning of 2008 (isn't it weird what triggers you to do that?). I'm a month closer to being married. I'm a college graduate. I pay a lot of bills these days (and there will only be more to come). Man oh man - a month down.

Let me be honest with you. You want to know what really scares me right now? I'll tell you: I'm gonna blink, and before I know it, I'll be writing the last post of the year 2008, reflecting on hopefully more good than bad. I'm really serious. Yes, I have other concerns and matters that weigh me down. But nothing haunts me more than laying down each night and staring at the ceiling and thinking to myself, "What did I do worthwhile today? How did I redeem the time for good?"

Now, I'm 23 years old. Let's say I live to the age of 80. That means I've only lived 25% of my life. Even though I feel like I've been around a while...far from it...far from it. At this point, you expect me to say something profound about how to best live your life. If you're foolish enough to think I have those steps for you, go read some Joel Osteen. He smiles a lot more than I do. Frankly, it's just easier to take the road often traveled and copy and paste something else profound. I celebrate and take great comfort in the poem below (yes, I read poetry...not really). Contemplate and ruminate!

Twas a life filled with aimless desperation
Without hope walked the shell of a man;
Then a hand with a nailprint stretched downward,
Just one touch then a new life began.

And the old rugged cross made the difference
In a life bound for heartache and defeat;
I will praise Him forever and ever
For the cross made the difference for me.

Barren walls echoed harshness and anger
Little faces ran in terror to hide;
Now those walls ring with love, warmth and laughter,
Since the giver of life moved inside.

Now there's a room filled with sad, ashen faces
Without hope death has wrapped them in gloom;
But at the side of a saint there's rejoicing,
For life can't be sealed in a tomb.

And the old rugged cross made the difference
In a life bound for heartache and defeat;
I will praise Him forever and ever
For the cross made the difference for me.

What's that you, say? Ah yes, carpe diem to you too! Remember, don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive anyway.


No comments: