Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Only Sissy Boys Have Girlfriends

Yesterday evening, I saw my 3 cousins (the children of my first cousin) Caleb (age 5), Collin (age 2), and Claire (age 6 months). The occasion was my grandmother's birthday party. Jamie and I routinely babysit these kiddos...and love every minute of it! Caleb's athletic ability is shining through at an early age, and Collin's penchant for drama and desire for attention lead me to believe he will be a very accomplished Shakespearean actor. Claire doesn't do much right now, but she's as cute as a button (and loves it when I hold her!). Interacting with the boys and Claire over the last 5 years has been nothing short of a learning experience for me. I think that when I have kids of my own, I may be a touch more prepared (at least with handling them and interacting with them). Jamie on the other hand is a pro!

The last several times I've seen Caleb, he's been a bit more inquisitive about pressing life issues. He'll ask me various questions (a little more serious than, "Can we play outside?) Lately, Caleb has been very curious about the nature of my relationship with Jamie. Last night, he asked me, "Michael, are you Jamie's daddy," and I told him I wasn't. Later he asked me, "Michael, is Jamie your mommy," and I told him she wasn't. But then it hit him. I could see it on his face. Caleb, with a wry smile, asked, "Michael, is Jamie your girlfriend," and I told him that she was. And with that answer, I blew Caleb's mind! He was shocked. He thought he was asking me a silly question, but when I gave him a serious and affirmative answer, it was as if time had stopped! From the look on his face, I thought he was going to give me a talking to and tell me that only sissy boys have girlfriends. And if he did, I might have been inclined to agree. Other points of note:
  • I fell asleep at about 9 pm last night, so I was wide awake at 3 am this morning. Since I hadn't seen the final vote tally for the New Hampshire primary, I took a look at CNN. Oh my! The giddiness of the "objective" news anchors as they talked about Hillary's victory was sickening!
  • Jamie and I met this morning with our organist for the wedding. As she played "Trumpet Vonluntary" (the song to which Jamie will process in) and I stood at the front of Provine Chapel, I was reminded that I'm really getting married on March 15, and the time doth draw nigh!

2 comments:

Andrew said...

well, you are her sugar daddy!...but that would have been too hard to explain..HAHA.

britbounds said...

Oh goodness! The tears almost started just thinking about the wedding! I can only imagine the Big Day.. haha.