Monday, January 7, 2008

The New Amercian Gladiators

Sunday night, I watched the new American Gladiators on NBC. It made me nostalgic for my younger days, when I watched the original American Gladiators (I always watched it on ESPN, if I'm not mistaken.) I mean, who can deny the good, clean fun that is the Joust, Human Cannonball, Powerball, Breakthrough and Conquer, and of course, the Eliminator. Jonathan and I would always watch Gladiator together (Jonathan is my younger (only) brother...21...junior at Mississippi State...not single), but unlike other combat-based shows, it never incited us to fight (when we were younger, my Dad banned us from watching wrestling because we would always end up trying to tear off each other's head).

One of the contestants on American Gladiator described herself as a life coach. I was familiar with the term, but I did a little research on the concept. My research revealed that you can be paid for this job. Hhhhmmmmmm. Remember, it's not nice to make fun of other people's jobs. Other points of note:
  • I saw this commercial while watching American Gladiators. While I laughed, I must say...it pushes the boundaries a bit. That said, I'm really glad I didn't have to explain what it meant to my 10 year old son (or worse, upon hearing my 10 year old son laugh and inquire what provoked his laughter, he explains the commercial to me).
  • My friend Landon is the potentate of crazy dreams. I mean, his dreams are deranged! But last night, I had a nightmare. Yep, a real true blue nightmare. I remember I woke up shaking (and possibly screaming...not sure if that was in the nightmare or for real). But for the life of me, I just can't remember what the nightmare was about. I do remember that part of my dream before the nightmare consisted of me singing "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" at a funeral (I really nailed it!). Other than that - no memories of my dream/nightmare life from last night. I guess my brain decided to block the traumatic experience from my memory, but it sure would be nice to know what scared me so bad.

4 comments:

Neil said...

I'm thinking the original gladiator was on USA.

Jamie Baker Ford said...

you forgot to mention the girl that said, "I am so exhausted, I cannot move my legs, I cannot even breathe, but I AM SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It is hard to express the true volume of her emotions through typing!!!!!

Andrew said...

thats what she said!

Z71MAN97 said...

You singing... That would be nightmare for some...

PS Original Gladiator was definitely on USA.