Friday, January 4, 2008

Jamie is Single? A Facebook Scandal

When Facebook came to MC (in case you didn't know, we're a Christian University), I never felt compelled to establish an account for myself. Mainly because I have a disposition to be compulsive, and would most likely spend inordinate amounts of time writing on peoples' walls. Of course, Facebook is the information exchange currency of young people, so I do live vicariously through Jamie's Facebook account. If I need to know something about someone, I simply log on to Jamie's account and ascertain the information. It's the best of both worlds if you ask me. I'm privy to Facebook drama, but I don't have to maintain an account and write on friends' walls and wish them happy birthday and post pictures and keep up with mini-feeds and the like.

On December 28, 2007, I changed Jamie's Facebook relationship status from "Engaged" to "Single." Yes, I did know the consequences of my action. I knew all of her "friends" would see it. So why did I do it?

I was kinda' bored at work is the primary reason...well really the secondary reason. Truly the reason I changed Jamie's Facebook relationship status from engaged to single is because...drum roll, please...I needed a stunt to promote my new blog. Yep, that's it.

I agree. It was a cheap and tawdry scheme. An ignominious machination worthy of social isolation. I feel like I'm no better than Britney Spears. I admit it: I violated the social contract that is Facebook for personal gain. But before I could even pop the cork off my champaign, light up a Cuban, and chuckle to myself about my diabolical scheme, Jamie calls me. "Hello," I nervously answer. And, well, she knew it was me. Within an hour, Jamie was inundated with text message inquiries. You Facebookers are an intense crew! And Jamie made me change it back (but I procrastinated as long as I could...).

Was it a good plan? I don't know. I'll let you decide. I do know that I didn't capitalize quickly enough to harness the energy and convert it to publicity. Only time will tell. It's funny though. Almost a week later, a young lady Jamie hadn't seen since high school came up to her while we were eating at Newk's and asked her about it.

Oh, Facebook. The land of 1,000 acquaintances.

2 comments:

Jamie Baker Ford said...

5 posts in 4 days, sweetheart??? You need a real job!!!

Andrew said...

Give the man a break...he has 1 and a half real jobs.

blog writer(while pretending to be an office manager)!