Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Surely you knew it was coming. Yep, it's now time to talk American politics. Wooohooooooo!

With Iowa caucus voters selecting Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee as the Republican nominee for President and Senator Barack Obama as the Democrat nominee for President, I was reminded that this race is a long way from over. And regardless of the outcome of today's New Hampshire primary, it's still a long way from over for both parties. Since everybody wants to know what I think about things (again, the primary reason I started this site), I'll feel obligated to give you, the faithful Ford Retort reader, the way I see things.

Here's my primary problem with Mike Huckabee, and the reason he doesn't have my support. The former governor views government as an appropriate vehicle to advance Christianity. Friends and enemies, this is dangerous and will lead to bad social, economic and foreign policy. Remember, if we give our government leaders the power to enact, say, a nationwide ban on smoking (as a matter of preference, that ban wouldn't much bother me), we are giving them the power to intrude more and more into the private sector and our private lives. While it's refreshing to have a politician who is proud to be a Christian, that's not the end all be all. In my opinion (and it's a good one), Huckabee is more liberal than Rudy Giuliani.

As a conservative, I've thrown my weight behind Fred Thompson. Does he have a snowball's chance of winning? I believe he does. Of the Republican candidates, Fred has the most reliable record of leading our country as a conservative. What have his problems been? Before he got in the race, the hype was too great to live up to. Pundits were expecting him to act and speak like Arthur Branch, the character he played on Law and Order. The only problem with that is that he isn't Arthur Branch; he's Fred Thompson. Also, Fred doesn't speak in sound bites, a major problem in campaigning, but not with being President of the United States. If you listen to a 10+ minute interview with Fred, I am confident that you will find him to be a thoughtful conservative.

I'm not going to take the time to analyze every candidate. Bottom line: examine the candidates for yourself! It's your job to do so. The number one rule every voter needs to remember about analyzing candidates is that all candidates are on their best behavior during the campaign. Most will say what they think will get them elected. So examine how they govern or have governed in the past.

Some observations:
  • Is John Edwards secretly vying to be Barack Obama's VP?
  • Fred Thompson is often touted as a Republican VP contender.
  • Ron Paul makes me laugh!
I'll leave you with some links to good information. I may add some more later.

Time to Step Up, Fred
Hey GOP: Cheer Up, Chin Up!
Democrats Fear Fred Thompson...and should
Hillary's Winter of Discontent

1 comment:

Andrew said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22571349/?GT1=10755

I bet Ron Paul could use some of his campaign monies to help pay for this...since hes not going to win!