Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Ford Retort - A Primer

retort [ri-tawrt] (verb)
1. to reply to, usually in a sharp or retaliatory way
2. to return (an accusation, epithet) upon the person uttering it
3. to answer (an argument or the like) by another to the contrary (noun)
4. a severe, incisive, or witty reply
5. the act of retorting

So what drove me to start this journal, this blog, this running dialog with the world, if you will? Well, I have a strong and pressing conviction that people need to know what I think about things. And yes, the name is inspired by the Drudge Report.

Here are some of the ground rules, but like vacillating college professors say in their syllabi, "The course instructor reserves the right to modify the schedule/change his mind/spice things up a bit to fit the needs of the class."

  • The site url is www.fordretort.com.
  • I'll do my best to post at least three times a week.
  • The content of my posts is simply what interests me at the time.
  • I can be a bit colorful, particularly when I haven't had much sleep, but I'll try to keep the content at least PG-13.
  • I liberally use parentheticals (and I make no apologies for it).
  • Many days, I'm just a little bit too verbose (working on it...)
  • And I start many of my sentences with conjunctions (gramarians disagree about the gramatical propriety of this practice).
  • Bookmark this page. Subscribe to the blog. Put a post it note on your mirror.
  • When you read my thoughts and bloviations, make sure you have a tissue nearby. Not to wipe away tears of laughter or joy, but to wipe away the sarcasm that may bead up on your computer screen.
  • Check back regularly.
  • I'll be honest: allowing user comments makes me nervous!
Now don't forget about me in two months!

No comments: